Emergency First Aid can save your Pug’s Life.

As a responsible Pug owner, knowing dog first aid is most important. You want the best possible care available for your Pug. Not only do you want an excellent veterinarian, but you want to be able to take care of your pet in emergency situations.

This means that you are prepared for “just in case” events. You have all of the supplies on hand and can react when problems occur. You remain prepared at all times. Your quick thinking, first aid knowledge, preparation, and action could save your pet's life.

With its personality and clown-like antics, your Pug constantly tries to get your attention. He gets into all kinds of trouble. A curious animal by nature, your little dog loves to investigate new things. Like a baby, everything goes into its mouth, even poisonous substances.

© David Desrochers
Pin It

With its personality and clown-like antics, your Pug constantly tries to get your attention. He gets into all kinds of trouble. A curious animal by nature, your little dog loves to investigate new things. Like a baby, everything goes into its mouth, even poisonous substances.

What basic items are in the first aid kit?


  • Tweezers
  • Rectal thermometer
  • Safety scissor
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Magnifying glass


  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Antibiotic ointment
  • Hydrocortisone ointment
  • Rubbing alcohol

Poisoning antidotes:

  • Syrup of ipecac
  • Activated charcoal liquid

Fever combatants:

  • Children's Benadryl
  • Children's aspirin

Bandaging materials:

  • Gauze pads
  • Adhesive tape
  • Elastic bandage
  • Nonstick wound pads
  • Roll of vet wrap


  • Your veterinarian’s name, address, and telephone number
  • Cotton balls
  • Artificial tears
  • Rubber gloves
  • Syringes
  • A Veterinary First Aid Manual

Keep your first aid kit well stocked at all times. You never know when you will need it. You should become familiar with how to administer first aid to your animal. You should know what to do under numerous emergency conditions such as poisoning, bleeding, shock and breathing difficulties.

The animal may also suffer with convulsions or he may become unconsciousness. What would you do if there is temporary  paralysis or vomiting or even a bout of diarrhea?  Waiting until there is a problem may be too late.


A Pug often gets into everything. Everything goes into its mouth. It is important that you never leave any medication where the animal can reach it. This is also true of household cleaning supplies.

You probably have numerous toxic substances around your home. You can prevent poisoning by reading the product labels carefully, and using these products appropriately.

Make sure that all hazardous chemicals are stored properly. If the label states that the product is hazardous for humans, then you should assume that it is toxic for your pet.

If your Pug ingests a poisonous substance, you need to take immediate action. You should notify your veterinarian at once.

He may advise you to induce vomiting, especially if you know what the animal ingested. Hydrogen peroxide works well for this purpose. If the poison is unknown, do not try to induce vomiting.

Keep the number for the National Animal Poison Control Center handy. This agency provides 24 hours assistance with animal poisoning problems. This toll number, 900-680-0000 could make the difference in whether your pet lives or dies. This agency charges a $65 consulting fee.

Is your Pug a runner. Each time you open the door does he tries to escape? If he gets out and runs into the street, a car could hit him. This is a common occurrence.

Remaining calm puts you in control of the situation. It helps to gather as much information as possible. Your veterinarian needs this information to determine the seriousness of your pet’s injury. Under no condition should you move the animal until you determine the extent of its injury. There could be factures or spinal cord damages. Moving your pet could result in additional injuries.

If your pet is bleeding profusely, apply a pressure bandage directly over the wound until the bleeding stops. Observe you Pug closely. With this type of trauma, he could go into shock.   

Signs of shock and what to do

An accelerated heart and respiratory rate often appear during the first stages of shock. Next, the rapid pulse weakens. The skin began to feel cool to the touch.

Using a rectal thermometer, take your Pug’s temperature. If the body temperature drops below 100 degrees, your pet is definitely going into shock.

Wrap the animal in a blanket to preserve the body heat. You can also wrap a warm hot water bottle in a towel, and place it next to the animal. Notify your veterinarian immediately. He still needs to examine and treat your pet. The wound will probably need sutures. 


Your Pug is an inside dog. Do not try to make him an outside dog. He can have problems if he remains outdoors when the temperatures reaches over 80 degrees. His internal temperature becomes elevated and hovers between 106 and 109 degrees. Your little dog could suffer from heatstroke.

Some of the early signs of heatstroke are panting, an increased pulse rate, reddened gums, an anxious or staring expression, and vomiting. The dog could go into a coma if the condition continues.

When a heatstroke is suspect, soaking the animal in cold water helps to decrease the temperature quickly. Massaging the skin and flexing the legs helps to get blood circulating throughout the body. It is most important that your veterinarian examines your pet.

If your little Pug accompany you on hot day, always carry some water with you. Cover your pet with wet towels or wet his fur to keep him cool. Never leave him inside a car on a warm day. If the temperature outside is at least 70 degrees, it can reach in excess of 100 degrees inside your vehicle. 


On extremely cold days, your pet can suffer from hypothermia if left outside for any length of time. If he seems less mentally alert than usual, and is shivering and weak, observe his heart rate. A low heart rate and shallow respiration helps to substantiate this finding.

Whenever your pet's body temperature drops below 75 degrees, he will probably die. Wrap your pet in a blanket or anything to retain its remaining body heat. You can wrap a warm hot water bottle inside a towel or blank if possible. Rush the animal to the veterinarian.

Your first aid manual contains a wealth of information. Be a responsible pet owner and make use of this valuable tool. Make yourself familiar with the signs of various complications that your Pug may encounter, including burns. Follow all accident guidelines. And, always have a first-aid kit handy!

If you think there is cause for concern, do not hesitate to consult your veterinarian. 

› Emergency First Aid

Advertising Disclaimer   Copyright Policy  Privacy Policy  Terms of Service